December 14, 2015

Frostgrave

Amidst the frozen ruins of an ancient city, wizards battle in the hopes of discovering the treasures of a fallen empire. In this fantasy skirmish wargame, each player takes on the role of a wizard from one of ten schools of magic, and builds his band of followers. The wizard's apprentice will usually accompany his master, and more than a dozen other henchman types are available for hire, from lowly thugs to heavily armoured knights and stealthy thieves.

I've been wanting to start a Frostgrave project ever since the game was released. The rules are fast and fun which is a requirement in a wargame for me these days, but the real seller was the minis designed by Mark Copplestone, Mike Owen, Mark Sims, Nick Collier and more. A few weeks ago I ordered four packs of wizards and ALL of the soldiers and monsters - yes, I have hundreds of fantasy models, but did you see the list of sculptors? I'm sure other models will find their way into warbands and random encounters, but I wanted to start with a core of 'official' models.

This weekend I finished my first wizard, the Chronomancer Marko Copperstone and his apprentice Aleeya. Potentially the most powerful of all wizards, Chronomancers use magic to manipulate time itself. As the youngest branch of magic, it is less developed, and less understood than any of the others, and is thus potentially more dangerous.


The details on these models are well defined and they were a joy to paint. I haven't decided if I want to add snow to the bases yet so I left them relatively plain. I'm going to collect a small set of arctic terrain and build a dedicated snowscape board so I probably will...

I haven't decided exactly on the composition of my first warband (or even if I'm going to include the apprentice - advice on a forum was for beginners to avoid the second spellcaster in lieu of more swords to start with) and will likely simply paint the henchmen models that appeal to me first. I'll fill out the points with a few extra thugs/wardogs/etc. after that.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Frostgrave is ever more compelling ... your post is another nail in the coffin and I might very well treat myself with the rulebook for Christmas.
    Good Job on Marko Copperstone and apprentice. The Chronomancers do sound like very good fun.

    ReplyDelete