A word on the paints used... I took a departure from my Citadel paints for the hide of these trolls. I couldn't get the combinations I wanted so I pulled out my Foundry paints. The first step was to paint the entire beast with Slate Grey 32A. I used a wash of Citadel Nuln Oil and then went back when this was dry with a drybrush layer of Slate Grey 32A. Next I began drybrushing the belly, inner arms, and lower face with Rawhide 11A and gradually worked up heavier coverage as I got away from the edges. Then I began alternating highlighting these two areas with successively lighter drydrushing...
Slate Grey 32B
Slate Grey 32C
Each layer was blended around the areas where these colors meet and the result was a very natural transition between the shades. I went back to the Citadel paints and blended some small highlights into the Rawhide areas with Ushabti Bone and Screaming Skull and picked out small highlights in the knobby scales in the Slate Grey areas with Administratum Grey.
Another brute is up for next week!