November 30, 2012

A Tale of One Gamer - Part Eight

November sees the completion of my Red Scorpions army at 2000 points!



Of course, I've already shown the Land Raider. The remaining additions gave some much needed speed to my force. The bike squad and attack bike will be fielded as one unit and the Assault Squad will normally support the bikes or the Vanguard Veteran squad.

So the final tally...

HQ
Space Marine Captain
Space Marine Command Squad
Space Marine Librarian

Troops
Space Marine Tactical Squad (10)
Space Marine Tactical Squad (10)
Space Marine Squad Squad (8)

Elite
Space Marine Terminator Squad (5)
Dreadnought

Fast Attack
Space Marine Bike Squad (3 + Attack Bike)
Space Marine Assault Squad (5)
Vanguard Veterans (5)

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader

Basically painted over the course of four months! I discovered that by alternating between the Space Marines and Tyranids, it was easier to keep the drive going and not burn out slapping the same colors on models day after day. It was also easy to paint 500-points a month and left me time to work on other projects.

When I started this project, part of the goal was to paint things I had tucked away in my game room. The only thing I purchased for the Red Scorpion army were the Assault Marine box and the Land Raider doors from Forge World. After all this, I STILL have enough unpainted kits to add another 1000 points easy, but I am planning on starting ANOTHER Space Marine army for 2013 that I've wanted to do for a very long time...

Anyway, this was a fun experiment - next month will see the completion of my 2000 point Tyranid army!

2 comments:

  1. That Landraider is a thing of beauty Clarence well done you've been amazingly prolific this year!

    I've always loved your metals what's your key tip for keeping them so clean and, well, metallic looking : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Minitrol.

    For metallics, I simply try to maintain a high level of contrast on objects and that probably gives the clean effect you mentioned. I leave the black undercoat showing in the recesses of bolters. Swords are brighter at the tip than the base. I rarely uses washes on metallics unless the model is mostly metal (like a medieval knight or maybe a necron) and if I do I always highlight back up to a pure metallic paint on the sharpest edges, highest points, etc.

    ReplyDelete