June 8, 2011

The Boys From Carolina

Here's a finished unit sporting one of the South Carolina flags I posted a few days ago (as usual, you can click on the photo to see it full size). I purposely chose a plain, pointed flag pole so I can easily swap out the flags for different scenarios.


My plans for the militia are to build nine stands of marching troops (like the lads above), nine stands of shooting troops, and four stands of advancing troops (these will be mostly in hunting shirts to represent the Virginia militia). Along with the separate command stands, this will allow me to field five units of four stands, six units of three stands and one of four, two units of six stands, and many other combinations (you get the idea) and still preserve the basic marching/firing/advancing battalions. Being able to swap the flags lets me change the weight of states represented as well.

I'll post a pic of a shooty battalion later this week...

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely work and I like the fence addition.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. The flag looks great on it's pole and I like the idea of being able to change it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid work. I like the partial fence on one flank of the unit. Nice detail. The shading on the figures is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarence - what size are the bases for this unit? Both the rank and file and the comand base semi-hex?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unit bases are 50x50mm and the hexes were 50mm across measured from flat edge to flat edge...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful unit, Clarence. Absolute perfection!

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice of colour, the unit as a whole looks like a random gathering of farmers/militia but does not look drab and keeps interest in the individual figures, really nice use of the neutral colour tones. Another alarmingly nice unit!

    PP

    ReplyDelete