January 17, 2024

The Russian (Tiny) Horde

I've been steadily painting, but for some reason blogging is a chore right now and I can't seem to be bothered to post on a regular basis. The blog has become more of a personal hobby diary for me rather than "Look at what I'm doing!" Regardless, my starting Russian army for the Crimean War and A Gentleman's War is finished! It's remarkably satisfying to reach a set goal.


My initial goal was three units of 12 infantry, but I've decided I want the Russian units to be 16 models strong and have a couple more packs on the way (alternately, I will be able to field four units of 12).

Artillery is one of the strengths of the Russian army, so I decided to field two guns for this tiny army. I plan to add limbers soon, but for now I'm happy to deploy them reversed with the crew marching ahead to depict them on the move.

I've painted these dragoons as the 1st and 2nd squadron of the same regiment (distinctions on the hat trim). Russian cavalry units tried to have the same color horses throughout the regiment and I thought black would make a nice contrast to all of the brown and tan greatcoats.

You can't have a Crimean War Russian army without Cossacks! I'm going to definitely build more of these ruffians, but I only needed one for my initial goal. According to A. V. Viskovatov, the flags of the Don Cossacks were the same as the line cavalry. They bore the inscription "For the Deeds of the Don Host to pacify Hungary and Transylvania 1849." Several regiments may have had other slogans, but I'm keeping my flags as generic as possible.

This has been a fun project so far. I have the British mustered on the painting table and I'll post my plan for them and some initial photos soon!

8 comments:

  1. An intriguing project. Sometimes it's good to have something where the end [or at least 'an end/goal] is in sight quickly.
    My first game of the year has been using the "A Gentleman's War" rules. In my case in the 1st Carlist War - and a good time was had.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear... I was leery of 12-man infantry units because I lean towards 36-48 models for horse and musket armies, but the trade off was to get the models on the table. With single bases, I can always combine units as the collection grows!

      Delete
  2. They are looking fantastic Clarence. I especially like the infantry and Mounted Officer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I'll have some details on the British shortly...

    ReplyDelete