February 14, 2018

Irish Militia 1689

One of the new things in Beneath the Lily Banners: The War of Three Kings, is the ability to model different pike to shot ratios on the tabletop. I'm running a game for some friends early next month and I had everything I needed for the scenario except a unit of All Pike. It's been on my 'to do' list for a while to paint a brigade of non-uniformed troops to use for the early war in Ireland (and as militia for any part of the campaign), so I got a start on it last week...



Foot units of All Pike get a couple of hefty bonuses in close combat, but of course have no shooting ability. Something I'm a little unhappy with on this unit from a modeling perspective is despite having three pikes on the central stand, I didn't pay attention to the fact that all of them are holding their weapons in their outside hand (relative to their base). This blends them in with the wings and leaves a huge gap in the forest of pikes in the middle. I might actually end up prying those three off and rearranging them to fill in a bit.

I know, I know...

4 comments: