August 16, 2016

Summoning the Fyrd

The warband is growing steadily and I have now finished the first half of the fyrd.


I wanted the fyrd to appear a little less grim than the huscarls. I chose marginally brighter colors and varied the shields for a more unruly appearance. I'm very pleased with how they turned out.




Eight more to go and my initial goal is finished. I'm splitting time between painting soldiers and scratch building a Dark Age village. Pics of the settlement coming up soon...

11 comments:

  1. They look great, very natural and weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking unit. Look forward to seeing your dark age buildings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, love the awesome shields!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work...you really got the recruit look on these ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good, and you sure do paint fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those shields are just awesome. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking awesome! Your shields are absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I ask you for some terrain building advice.
    I've been working on some terrain yesterday and I applied a lot of static grass to my gameboard. The grass however turned out really bright. A bit too bright for my tastes. Is there any way I can tone it down somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drybrush it with some earth tone like ochre or sand... some sort of yellow/brown. If you've used anything like that in non-grass areas, use the same color you used there, but you ant to avoid red/browns unless you want the grass to look scorched.

      It is important to make sure most of the paint is off the brush or you will end up with a chunky mess! Even then, it's nothing that can't be fixed with the application of more soil and material to cover rough looking spots.

      Hope that helps! Please feel free to contact me if needed...

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot. I'll give it a go.

      Delete